Howard Taylor has announced his intention to resign from Brisbane Excelsior at the conclusion of the 2010 Australian Nationals.
Howard will have been with the band for 8 years next April. He says “I have enjoyed my time immensely in Brisbane with the Excelsior band. They are a great team of musicians and we’ve had an incredible journey together. I’ve experienced some of my best banding moments both on and off stage. I look forward to our last challenge together in Hobart next Easter.”
Band President Allan Lonergan and Howard Taylor have been working together closely over the past few months to set a plan for the future of Brisbane Excelsior. Allan Lonergan said that “Howard has been a driving force in the success of the band over the past 7 years. His input into the band will be greatly missed, but the time is right for both the band and Howard to move onto new challenges.”
Howard will leave Brisbane Excelsior having enjoyed considerable success as its musical director. The band’s achievements since Howard’s appointment have included:
- participating in Chinese New Year celebrations in Hong Kong in 2005;
- winning the Australia National Championships in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008;
- winning the NZ National Championships in 2007 and 2008;
- competing at the 2006 All England and International Masters;
- competing at the 2009 British Open Band Championships; and
- winning various state and local competitions throughout Australia.
It is Howard’s intention to return to the UK next year after 13 years in NZ and Australia.