- ‘Our’ wonderful Julia Russell returns to her home town of Cairns, having completed her studies in Brisbane, to take up a full time position as instrumental teacher at a Cairns High School. Congratulations Julia – we will miss you!
- XLCR is awarded a grant from the Arts for $9818 for the production of its new CD “The Champions”
- Twice weekly rehearsals recommence in preparation for our CD recording later in the year.
- Ashley Gittins features as Guest Soloist with Waratah Brass
- All hands on deck for the fundraising campaign
- Howard takes a 3 week break and journeys back to the UK to visit Mum, other family and friends. He also takes in the Nationals sharing a box at the Albert Hall with Steve Pell and Jason Katsikaris.
- In Howard’s absence, the band is fortunate to have the services of Peter Luff. Ashley Gittins and Steve Ridler also helped with band training during this time.
- Many members of XLCR journeyed down to the NSW State Band Championships to hear and support Jason Katsikaris and Gunnedah in their first contest as an A Grade band. Gunnedah won by an overwhelming 5 points and thoroughly deserved this win. Look out XLCR!!!
- Long term Principal Cornet, Rodney Everitt, graciously moves aside as Paula Russell takes on the top chair.
- XLCR advertise in Australian, New Zealand and British brass band magazines for Eupho/Bari and cornet players.
- Glen Madden pays the XLCR band a visit and sits in on Flugel while the Casagrande’s take a four week vacation to Canada.
- Emily returns to us from her work in India.
- Zaac Latter returns to us after his time ‘down south’
- A new management committee is elected at the AGM and a reshuffle has resulted with Rick Casagrande standing down as President to concentrate on raising funds and/or sponsorship as the Business Development Manager along side Julie Woods, and Meg Fixter standing down as Secretary to concentrate on the huge task of Events and Contest Manager.
- Brisbane Excelsior placed first in this years “Battle of the Bands” Audition Day.
- Congratulations to Col Topp and Jeff Herbert on their 50 year service medals to banding in Queensland!!
- We welcome Hayden Harry Thomas FIXTER 14/7/2005 – new son for Scott and Julie and Grandson for Meg. Congratulations!!
- Brisbane Excelsior reclaims the State A Grade Championship with many of our soloists also returning as State Champions with Paula Russell winning the Open Champion of Champions and Imelda Moore winning the Junior Champion of Champions. The State Championships were held in Maryborough.
Brenden Wheeler is appointed Principal Euphonium for Brighouse & Rastrick. Congratulations Brenden from all at XLCR!!
Emily Lashmar leaves us for 3 months on a working trip to India. Good luck, Em!
Rick Casagrande is in the UK and will be marching and playing with Carlton Main in the Whit Friday competition and the Masters in Cambridge on the 29 May
Ashley Gittins features in this months Australian Band World
- Congratulations to Brad Hosking on his Graduation – Bachelor of Popular Music (Griffith University) specialising in Sound Engineering and Studio Production
- Phil Risely and Jill Buckie announce their Engagement! Congratulations Phil and Jill from all at XLCR!
- Allan Lonergan resigns as QBA Treasurer.
- XLCR and QBA reach an agreement re the ongoing registration of Brenden. Read the agreement here
- Brenden plays his way through to the finals of the BBC Young Musician of the Year
- Brisbane Excelsior appeals against the QBA decision to not allow Brenden Wheeler to remain a registered player with XLCR. Read the appeal paper here.
- Paula Russell launches her new website buglegirl.com
- Acoustic foam is installed in the rehearsal room.